I watched a man get arrested a few days ago.
I was sitting behind my desk at the office when two officers walked through the front doors. Like a good receptionist, I smiled, tilted my head and said,
"Hi, what can I do for you?"
"We're actually looking for someone," one of them said. "We think he's upstairs."
They stood side by side. They smelled like fruit. Actually, one of them smelled like fruit--he was chewing gum.
"What's his name?" I asked.
The one chewing gum pulled out a slip of paper and leaned across my desk to hand it to me.
A few minutes later, the officers escorted the man from upstairs to my front lobby. They had him stand in front of my desk when they gave him his rights. When they were putting on his handcuffs, the officer without the gum looked the man in the face and said,
"Well, that's that. Anything ya need here before we go?"
The man didn't respond for a second. Then he turned slowly and looked at me, a small smile on his face.
The officer without gum shook his head and stepped toward my desk.
I grabbed the sides of my swivel chair.
"You can have this," the officer said, picking out a Jolly Rancher from the candy jar beside me. "You're in enough trouble already."
They walked out the front doors and I watched them through the windows get into their car and drive away.
A few seconds later I realized it still smelled like fruit.
Justice may be blind, but it smells an awful lot like pomegranates.
Hurray for blogs! Your post made me laugh at least 4 times.
ReplyDeleteYay for blogs! Haha I love this Bekah!
ReplyDeleteAre you going to post any of your stories here?
ReplyDeleteDid you know him? Did he work there? Do you know what he was arrested for? Nevermind, don't answer. It would ruin the short story quality of the post.
ReplyDeleteThat's intense. What flavor of Jolly Rancher was it? :)
ReplyDelete