Exciting life-altering decisions = odd and traumatic dreams
For example...
Dream #1 (2 days ago)
Characters:
- Me
- Giant Eel
- Helpless, vulnerable lake-goer
Summary:
"Is that a seal?" I ask.
"Where?"
"By that boat."
"Nah. I think it's an old garbage can."
"Really? But it's..."
I shade my eyes from the summer sun and look closer at the dark shape rising from the water a few yards away. The sun-burned man next to me searches in the cooler for salami.
Suddenly...
"Gah!" I scream. "Run!"
"Why?"
I smack the salami from his hands and point behind me.
"Can't you see!"
He scratches his neck.
"The garbage can, you mean?"
Conclusion:
He dies. I tried really hard to save everyone, I really did. I ran around the whole lake screaming and waving my arms.
Eels really look nothing like garbage cans.
Dream #2 (last week)
Characters:
- Me
- My sisters (who look nothing like my sisters)
- Stapler
Summary:
Me and my sisters walking on the beach, enjoying the sound of the waves and the salty spray. I hit my toe on something half-submerged in the sand.
It's a brown stapler.
Hmm...
A few days later:
"Help! Please! Someone, please help us!"
Staples shoot haphazardly through the air.
"Cover your faces," I scream to my sisters. "Don't let it get your eyes!"
The beach stapler scoots slowly across the carpet toward us, clicking menacingly as it gets closer. We whimper and tremble in the corner of the room.
Conclusion:
What was I thinking? I've seen Jumanji. Never, ever pick up out-of-place things on the beach.
They're nothing but trouble.
Dream #3 (last night)
Characters:
- Me. Again.
- Village Chief
- Monkeys with razor-tipped wings
Summary:
"What more do you want from me!" I scream, pointing at the door behind me. "I just trapped the monkeys in the tornado simulation room--they can't possibly still be alive!"
The chief and everyone else in the village frown reprovingly. The chief waves his gnarled scepter above his head.
"You're the village warrior, Bekah. Go in there and make sure they're dead."
"But they are dead."
"How do you know for sure?"
I shrug.
"There. See? Now open that door and make sure."
"But..." I whisper. "I'm too scared."
"What?" He raises an eyebrow. "What did you say?"
"I'm scared to face them on my own."
"But you're the village warrior!"
"I know, but can't someone help me? There's a lot of them in there."
"No one is trained."
"But...why is there only one village warrior?"
He rolls his eyes.
"It can't be helped," he says
"But why?"
He shakes his head.
"Budget cuts," he sighs.
Conclusion:
I'm still confused.
Going on an 18 month mission is a lot more stressful than I anticipated, I guess.
Oh. You didn't hear?
Well.
I'VE BEEN CALLED TO SERVE IN THE SEOUL KOREA MISSION!
Nightmares aside, I'm so excited to be a missionary I can hardly hold myself up anymore!
I just hope they don't have monkeys there...


I love this. A lot. Also, I am so excited for you! When do you leave?
ReplyDeleteI'll be in the MTC the beginning of September--plenty of time for more dreams :)
ReplyDeleteThanks for being excited with me, Jesslyn!
I haven't had that many exciting dreams in my lifetime! Where does it all come from? Congrats on the mission call!! My grandparents served there a few years ago...Shelly by the way(blogs always make me sign Michelle)
ReplyDeleteCongratulations on the mission call! I'm so excited for you. You'll be such a wonderful missionary. Also, Korean food is awesome! :)
ReplyDeleteRest assured, there are no monkeys. Can't say the same about eels and staplers, though.
ReplyDelete