Friday, January 21, 2011

I'm a "life experience" thief


A couple days ago I told my friend one of my favorite childhood memories.

     "I was like five years old," I said.
     He swallowed a spoonful of frozen yogurt. "So you were living in your Michigan house."
     "Mm hm. And I was playing with my best friend, Lisa."
     I poked at the kiwi slices in my bowl. "In my old house we had this exercise bench in the basement that my brothers lifted weights on, and Lisa and I used to tilt the back of the bench up so we could slide down on our blankets."
     "Did it work?"
     I nodded. "Kind of--the whole ride only lasted about two seconds, but it was a novelty so we loved it."

     A group of girls suddenly walked past our table and sat down at the counter behind us. I noticed the television above them was featuring a documentary on the rainforest. I watched as the camera followed a giant catfish propel itself out of the river to snatch a beetle from one of the branches hanging over the water.
     "It's like Planet Earth," I whispered to myself.
     "Hm?" He looked behind him. We both watched as the film explained the dangers of fishing. A man struggled to pull a fat, yellow catfish into his little makeshift canoe .
     "Anyway," I said, smiling and looking back to my yogurt. "We played on it all the time. Then one day, as we were fighting to go down at the same time, I fell and hit my chin on the metal supports."
     "Ow."
     "I know. That's why I have this little scar." I pointed at my chin.
     "I don't see anything," he said.
     "Really?" I blinked and put my hand to my chin. "I could have sworn..."

Then it hit me.

     "Oh my gosh," I said.
     "What?"
     I covered my face. "I've been living a lie."
     I looked up and noticed a sloth on the television fall from it's tree and land in the river.
     He laughed. "Did you just make that whole story up?"
     "No," I said, "it really happened! But I just realized it happened to Lisa and not me..."
     "So, you really don't have a scar?"
     "No," I laughed. "I've totally been stealing someone else's memory!"
     "I feel like we're in Inception..." he said.
     "If we were, my totem would have to be a dumbbell. It's only appropriate."
     "Agreed."
     I shook my head. "I must have told that story a million times."
     We sat quietly for a moment eating our yogurt. After a minute or so he suddenly pushed his yogurt away and folded his arms.
     "Bekah...?" he said.
     "Hm." I set my spoon down and grabbed my napkin. 
     He looked around the room, raised an eyebrow and then leaned across the table.
     "Is Lisa real?" he asked.



Now I feel like a sloth that's been pushed out of someone else's tree.

Good thing I'm an excellent swimmer.
As a little girl I remember learning to swim in the Demerara River amidst yellow cat fish and beetles.

Wait... 


1 comment:

  1. I love this story...I can attest to the fact that Lisa is real! How are you doing Bekah? Hope life is going well. :)

    ReplyDelete