Friday, March 11, 2011

True Story

     Yesterday I ran to the bank on my lunch break to grab some cash for a pizza party my dinner group was having that night. I got about $25.00, chit-chatted with the teller (we're buddies) and then ran back to my car. When I got back to work I brought out my wallet to place the cash in its little sleeve.

That's when I noticed the secret message.

On the bottom of one of my twenty dollar bills, in bright blue ink, was written "Listen up, heres the code: GLOBALIZATION. Gather."

I blinked, and then scooted my chair toward the window. Call me crazy, but I half expected to see a small militia.

I looked at the bill again. Gather where? That's not very clear. People might get confused. And what am I listening to? The sultry rustle of cash? I huffed and stuffed the bill in my wallet. Globalization--ha! You're gonna have to be a bit more organized to win me over. I grabbed the other twenty, placed it along side the first, and then reached for the five dollar bill.

Not joking. There was another message.

On the five dollar bill, in the bottom left hand corner, was a little stamped message in pink ink. It was difficult to read at first but once I smoothed it out and brought my eyeballs right up to the green I could clearly see, "Jesus loves you." 

I smiled.

"Well,"  I said to myself, "that's more like it."

(Wish I would have thought to take a picture of my secret messages)

I don't know why my cash is suddenly more articulate, but I can appreciate the communicative effort. I mean, just think about how many people handle the same twenty dollar bill in 6 months time...

I may or may not have washed my hands about 7 times after that last thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment