Hi all,
I don't have much time but I just want to say how thankful I am to be
here, to be in Korea and to be a missionary. While we were taking the
subway home last night an old drunk cross-eyed Korean man stumbled
over to us, smiled and then started yelling at us in his slurred
Korean that we were no good. I couldn't help but smile. He was like a
little boy. I love Koreans!
This week has been a little crazy because one of the sisters in our
mission got pretty sick and we had to do an emergency exchange for a
couple days. I went back to my old area (Yeonsu) and was companions
with Sister Evans (we were in the MTC together). We're both pretty new
missionaries so it was our first time on our own. I've always had
Korean companions and could use them as a crutch if I couldn't
understand or express myself, but Sis. Evans and I were on our own and
had to teach on our own, find new investigators on our own, and direct
P.E.C. meeting with the Stake Presidency all on our own in Korean--and
we did it!
I can actually speak Korean!
Well, I can speak well enough for people to understand the simplest truths,
and that's all that matters for now. My understanding gets better everyday.
It's still a struggle--I think it will be a struggle for a while--but I can
pick out the key words and figure out what most people say when they speak
to me. The last few days have been such a miracle. And Sister Evans and I
are having so much fun working things out on our own.
My favorite feeling is when I finally snuggle down under my blankets at
night and know I worked hard that day and pushed myself to be courageous and obedient and loving. Since I've been a missionary I can absolutely testify that the happiest people are the ones that work hard, strive to be good, take care of others, and find humor when things don't go as planned. Those are the ones that smile sincerely. Those are the ones that are naturally joyful.
I'm so thankful to be here and to be a part of these people's lives.
It's like Christmas everyday.
Love you all,
Sister Washburn
No comments:
Post a Comment