Monday, February 27, 2012

February 12, 2012 Three Stories

Goodness gracious. This week was wild. Here's three short stories to illustrate:

1. Last Sunday we decided to teach Steve about the priesthood. (I think I mentioned him before, his Korean name is 위한갑 but he likes to go by his English class name) Steve has a disabled son that he worries about every day. He is such a caring father and was drawn to the church because he recognized that the members were so good and thought they could help his family.

Near the end of our lesson, after explaining the history and importance of the priesthood, I leaned forward to give him our promise. In my baby-Korean I attempted to say, "Through the priesthood I know you can bless your son." Once I finished, my companion suddenly turned bright red, put her hands up and said, "'BLESS your son, you could BLESS him!"

I was confused at first--didn't I just say that?-- and then suddenly realized I had mixed up the verb 축복하다 (to bless) with 축이다. So I had actually promised him that "through the priesthood you can KILL your son." When I made the connection I looked at Steve in horror.
He raised his eyebrow, smiled, and then covered his mouth to stop laughing. We were all goners after that. We all couldn't stop laughing.

2. Sis. Kim and I decided to contact an apartment complex down the street. It had 15 floors and lots of potential families. After knocking on a door on the 12th floor a young man, maybe in his thirties, opened the door a crack, peeked out and said, "Who are you?"

"We're missionaries for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints."

"Oh."

"We teach about the restored gospel of Jesus Christ, which is found in this book. May we introduce it?" (It sounds awkward when translated in English, sorry...) He blinked a couple times, look at us, and then shrugged and pushed the door open.

It took us both a few seconds to realize that he was standing in the doorway IN WOMAN'S UNDERWEAR!

We both gasped, looked at each other, and blushed. Sis. Kim quickly took a pass-along card from her bag, stuck her arm out and said (while looking at me) "We'll stop by later, contact us if you're interest."

We bolted after that.
Honestly, Mister.
In your underwear?

3. A few days ago, Sis Kim and I were walking down the street when we saw an old, stooped woman make her way toward us from the opposite direction. That day both Sis. Kim and I had rushed out of the apartment and we were both pretty haggard looking. My bangs were pulled back, and tufts of my hair poked out of my scarf at odd angles.

I had also been too distracted to put much make-up on that morning and my eyebrows were pointing in all kinds of directions from me rubbing my face with my glove to protect my forehead from the wind. When we stood in front of the old woman I smiled and said, "Hello, grandmother! How are you?"

Her whole faced lit up like a child's and she reached for my face and stroked my cheek with her fingers. As she held my face in her hands she whispered, "So pretty. You keep smiling. So pretty."

Who cares about untamed eyebrows!

I have an old Korean woman who thinks I'm great.

Such a wonderful week. I love being a missionary!

Love you all, stay safe and warm

Love, Sister Washburn

No comments:

Post a Comment