Monday, February 20, 2012

January 8, 2012 Dopelganger

DISCLAIMER!

My ldsmail account has a glitch and won't let me send any mail (the SEND button disappeared) so after some frantic calls the office Elders told me to send my weekly report (which goes to my President) and my family email through my personal gmail account...and it feels really weird!

I forgot how blessed I was to be kind of cut off from my old life.

Just looking at my old tabs weirds me out. If I looked at my inbox or any old emails pretty sure I'd blow up in a fiery ball of akwardness.

So I'm only writing this and my weekly report and then running back to the safety of my missionary seclusion! :) Sorry if it's short.

I wanted to tell you a funny thing I learned from Sister Kim this morning. While we were preparing for the day Sister Kim suddenly looked up from trimming her nails and giggled. When I asked her what she was thinking she said,

"There is an old Korean superstition about nail clippings," she pointed at the little pile she had on a tissue in front of her. "Many older people only trim their nails in the morning because an old tale says that if any clippings are left on the floor or in the trash over night a mouse will come, eat your trimmings, and be transformed into an evil version of yourself."

I giggled. "A mouse?"

She nodded. "It turns into your dopelganger."

"How did you learn the word for dopelganger!" I stopped brushing my hair and laughed.

"We say dopelganger all the time in Korea. It is a common word."

I smiled. "What if you have to cut your nails at night?"

She shrugged and carried her tissue toward the bathroom. "My family flushes them down the toilet."

Intense, huh?

The phrase "Of Mice and Men" has taken on a new meaning for me.
Those little rascals.
I'll write more next week when myldsmail works again.
Love you all!
Sis. Washburn

No comments:

Post a Comment