Monday, February 20, 2012

January 15, 2012 Got Warm?

Your email felt so cozy, Mom. I could just imagine you in the computer room, sipping your honey tea! I felt warm and happy just reading! And thanks for the Labyrinth "ello" :)

From what I hear January is the coldest month in Korea, but around February it should slowly--very slowly--but surely warm up a bit.

Which makes me giddy just thinking about it! I can't imagine being warm while outside, it seems absurd. To illustrate what I mean I'll explain my typical daily wardrobe. Ready? Okay.

First:
Wool Socks
2 Pairs of Thermal Leggings
Black Tights
Two Skirts
(so...6 layers on the bottom)

Second:
Undershirt
Long-sleeve Shirt
Decorative Top (in order to look a little feminine...) Long-sleeve Cardigan Sweater
(and 5 layers on top)

Third:
Trench Coat
Long Wool Pea-Coat, to go over the Trench Coat
2 Pairs of Gloves
Wool Scarf
(and about 5 outer layers)

TA-DA!

I feel like a magic act every day! It's really fun, and it's a work-out getting dressed every day.
At this rate I think it would be weird to just wear one or two layers.
I'd feel naked.

I love Korea. I've been learning so much about the culture and the people that my desire to share the gospel just grows and grows every second. I think most people who are suddenly thrown into another country have a hard time connecting to the people at first. I remember the first couple of weeks I was here--it was so odd to have EVERYTHING be so different.

During those first weeks I always thought about something Seth wrote in a letter he sent with one of Tiffany's packages. (p.s. Tiffany, you're amazing. Your packages always arrive right when I need a little bit more chocolate. Seriously. You have a sixth sense.) Seth said he remembers thinking on his own mission that sometimes it didn't feel like real life, and the German people he was teaching were imaginary.
And I totally felt that way sometimes! I'd walk down the crowded streets, hear everyone talking in Korean, smell the vendors fried squid, look over the short, little dark-haired crowd in front of me, and it felt like a cartoon! It made me laugh every day!

But now I can't help but notice the things that make Koreans so human and so loveable. At church last week, while the Bishop was speaking, I suddenly noticed a young mother a few rows in front of me slowly and gently rock her little boy in her arms. She brought him close to her face and lightly blew the hair away from his eyes. The baby smiled, closed his eyes and reached up to touch her mouth.

It's moments like that that make me feel so priveledged to be a missionary.

Love you all!
Sister Washburn

Liz, Hannah and Emily Berdan asked to see my "snowman" outfit (me all bundled up for the weather). Sadly, I don't have any pictures with me now but I'll send a picture of another outfit! This is me wearing the Korean traditional (Hambok). It's hard to see in the picture but it has several layers and the skirt is super puffy. The headress is only for single girls to wear. Once you're married your head is bare.

During very special occasions and during (the Korean new year is based on the lunar calendar so it's a couple weeks after Jan. 1st). My companion is a more than a foot shorter than me so the skirt and sleeves are...well, you can see for yourself. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment